Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Making Time For You


Welcome to Tuesday Talk!
Meet your hosts!
Becky from BYBMG, Beth from Our Pretty Little Girls, Whitney from Polka-Dotty Place, Elizabeth from All Kinds of Things, Tara from Mrs.Coach Sims, Keri from Living In This Season, Sarah from Abiding In Grace, Lauren from Simply Free , Emily from Morning Motivated Mom, and Jessica & Katie from Sweet Little OnesChristina from Waltzing In Beauty, Amy from Go Forth and Mother & Michelle from Grammie Time
This week I am excited to also be linking up with Stephanie from Wife Mommy Me for Mom Talk Tuesdays.

Wife Mommy Me

This months topic...


First off I want to start by addressing a lie that I have fought and struggled with for years and years.
 
The lie:
Taking time for myself is selfish, bad moms are selfish, I don't want to be a bad mom, I don't need me time.

The truth:
Taking time for you does not make you a bad wife or mother.

I remember being a young mom and feeling an overwhelming sense of guilt any time I took a break. 
At the time I was working and I already felt awful being away from the baby during the day. The idea of spending more time away from her seemed like such a bad idea. I would convince myself I didn't need any me time until I would near having a meltdown, feel forced to finally take some time away and then I would just start the cycle all over again.

I was so certain that things would be easier when I became a stay at home mom after the birth of our second daughter. WRONG! I faced a whole new set of challenges and the feelings of abandonment and guilt were still there. I didn't want to "burden" others just so I could escape and several of my favorite ways to spend me time were no longer an option since we were now a one income family. 

I was so young, naive, proud and wrong.

Which brings me back to this:

Taking time for you does not make you a bad wife or mother. 

 8 years of marriage later and 7+ years of being a mom and I am still struggling to fully believe the truth.
I'd love to say it gets easier and one day it will all just click, but honestly I don't think it will.
However, I do think that maybe we can grow wiser.

Wise enough to see that me taking time for myself can make me a better wife and mom. 
It gives me a chance to step back and look at things from a different perspective one that sees the big picture instead of that moments current chaos or crisis. It gives me a second to catch my breath, recharge my batteries and to just be Beth. A chance to connect with friends, rediscover something I love or try something new. I can eat an ice cream cone without sharing, read a book without stopping or drink a cup of tea without microwaving it 15 times. Sometimes the little things can make such a huge impact on a weary mama's heart.
Never underestimate them.

I love my life.
I love being a mom.
 I love staying home with my girls, more than anything in the world.
It always has and always will be my dream job.

But why do I so often take something I love and completely submerge myself in it to the point that I feel I will almost drown?

I rob myself of true joy by not taking time to simply rest.

Sharing my heart like this is never easy, but I can't help but feel that I am not alone in this struggle.

Moms, I want to challenge you to take more time for you.
I know this may look different for everyone, but let's say once a week for the next month we were to carve out at least 30 minutes of time to get away and do something we love, catch up with a friend, or just sit and do nothing.

How would taking a more frequent time of rest affect us as wives and mothers?

There is only one way to find out.
Why not give it a try?

Do you struggle to make time for you?

Will you accept the challenge?

Now it's your turn!
Grab the button on my sidebar and link up for this weeks Tuesday Talk!

An InLinkz Link-up

post signature


No comments:

My favorite part of blogging is getting to know my readers. I love comments and will respond to all of them via email. Please make sure your email is connected to your account.