Monday, April 7, 2014

Passport to the world: Italy

We are currently wrapping up our home school year, wahoo! I have LOVED this year but I am beyond excited and ready for Summer. Everyday I feel that I sound a little more and more like Olaf. "Oh, I don't know why but I've always loved the idea of summer and sun..."

In Social Studies we have been taking one country every week and learning about it. This week our country was Italy. Oh Italy, you are beautiful and captivating. I would love to go visit you but for now I will just wish and dream myself into Google image pictures. 

Here are some activities from this week:

Coloring the Italian Flag


 I made some easy Roman numeral worksheets and a little test for her to do.



We also talked about The Leaning Tower of Pisa and watched this video


After the video we decided to be crafty and make our own Leaning Tower of Pisa. I searched the internet for ideas and didn't find anything I could just print, so we got crafty and came up with this. 

Supplies needed:

Toilet paper roll
White and green paint
Sharpie
4x4 /6x6 piece of cardboard
Hot glue gun
Markers
toothpick
small piece of paper

First, I took the piece of cardboard traced the toilet paper circle around it and cut out a hole so I could easily fit the toilet paper roll into the piece of cardboard. Then we painted our pieces to let them dry.


Painting a cylinder was a bit tricky so I helped her.


After the paint was completely dry we took a sharpie and made LOTS of arches all the way around it.


 Then we inserted the toilet paper roll into the base. You want the tower to lean (obviously) so we trimmed about 1/4" off one side of the toilet paper roll before we glued it in. 


 Next, we made this cute little flag with a tiny piece of paper and a toothpick and glue it to the top. 


Finished product. I thought this turned out really cute.


That just about wraps up Italy except for a tasty Italian treat. What Study unit is complete without some kind of food, right?! 

Stick around and see what we made later this week. 

Happy Monday!


post signature




2 comments:

  1. I visited Italy and loved the food and the people, but I was kind of sad how outside of some of these monuments there was soo much trash and yuck.

    I love the video on the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I am totally showing that to my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be sad :(!

      The video was cute. My 3 year old insisted on watching it over and over again. Funny how something random catches their attention and they are hooked. She probably watched it 4 times in a row, lol.

      Delete