Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Netherlands Part two: Boterkoek


One of my favorite parts of studying countries has been trying so many new foods. We have tried a new recipe every week and we have definitely found a few keepers. This weeks recipe is a traditional Dutch dessert. From the research I did, it isn't a delicacy or something fancy for a special occasion but, it is "working man's" dessert. Our favorite part of this recipe was the name, Boterkoek (Boat-er-coke) The girls would repeat it over and over and over, it was adorable. If I had to rate all the recipes we have tried this one might be my least favorite. But, I think that is just because it tasted pretty familiar. I would compare it to an almond sugar cookie.



Boterkoek

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup unsalted butter
1 Cup superfine, or regular sugar
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Handful of almonds (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or line your tin, I use a 9" springform, you could also use a 9" pie plate.

2. Mix together butter, sugar and almond extract until light and fluffy. (If you do not have super fine sugar you can put regular sugar in the blender to make your own)
3. Add the beaten egg to the mixture, but leave a tsp or so in the bowl for glazing at the end. Stir in egg then add flour and baking powder and mix until the dough comes together. 

4. Place mixture in the prepared baking pan and gently press until level. 

5. With a sharp knife score the surface to create a diamond criss-cross pattern. I apparently didn't score ours deep enough. I had to go back over it with a knife to get it to appear. 

6. Mix the tsp of egg with a tsp of water and brush over the cake (I did this step and ours didn't get golden brown like I expected it, but tested done so I didn't wait.)

7. Sprinkle with flaked almonds (optional) and bake for 25-30 minutes until it tests done with a toothpick.










post signature


Original recipe from lovefoodies.com

No comments:

My favorite part of blogging is getting to know my readers. I love comments and will respond to all of them via email. Please make sure your email is connected to your account.