Thursday, June 26, 2014

Easy Chocolate Syrup {Recipe}

In an effort to save money and cut out as many unnecessary sweeteners and preservatives I have done A LOT of experimenting in the kitchen over the past year. If I can make it cheaper and/or remove an ingredient I try it. One of the switches we have made has been from buying already made chocolate syrup from a bottle to making our own. This has been a very welcomed change. I find the flavor to be less sugary leaving more of a chocolate flavor. Even better is how easy it is to make! 



Chocolate Syrup

Ingredients
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
3/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa
1 Cup water
Dash of salt
1 tsp vanilla

Directions. 
1. Pour sugar and cocoa and salt into a medium sauce pan, stir with a whisk to mix and break up any clumps.

2. Stir in water, over medium heat slowly bring mixture to a boil stirring occasionally. Cook for 1-2 minutes after it begins to boil. Remove from heat. Cool for 5 minutes then stir in vanilla.

3. Allow syrup to cool until room temperature. At first it may appear bumpy/bubbly but it will smooth and thicken up as it cools. Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate. FYI: This recipe fits perfectly in a pint size mason jar 







post signature


1 comment:

  1. I make this chocolate syrup too! Dave always complained about having to stir and drizzle it with a spoon, so I said I would start putting it in a squeeze bottle for him. He suggested I use one of the HUNDREDS of plastic honey containers we go through, so I kept the next one out of the recycling and it works great! He also gets frustrated with his favorite salad dressing because it doesn't have a squeeze top and he always pours too much on his salad, so I transferred it to a honey container too and he loves it. Nice to find new uses for all those containers instead of just recycling or giving them to Tess for her play kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete