Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Dutch Apple Pie Bread {Recipe}

It all started when I ended up with more apples than I knew what to do with. I made apple butter, apple sauce, apple pie filling and after spending countless hours in the kitchen I couldn't seem to bake, cook or can myself out of apples. While pondering ways to make them disappear I thought "how about some apple bread?" I knew I could freeze the loaves and we could enjoy them all fall. I quickly set out to find a recipe searching Pinterest and Google only to be let down time and time and time again. Every recipe was too fattening with at least half a stick of butter or a whole cup of oil in each loaf. Others were too cake like, (I wanted a true sweet bread.) so I rolled up my sleeves and started baking

I couldn't be more excited to share the results with you today.


I hope you love it as much as we do and that it fills your home with the taste and smell of fall.
Ingredients:
1 Cup brown Sugar
1 Egg
1/3 Cup oil
1/3 Cup (heaping) unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp vanilla
1 Cup buttermilk
2.5 Cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 Cups peeled and chopped apple, approx 1/2" pieces.
*Any baking apple works, but I prefer the granny smith.

Topping Ingredients:
1/4 Cup softened unsalted butter
1/2 C brown sugar
1/3 C flour
1/4-1/3 Cup rolled oats
Dash or two of cinnamon

Directions:
1. Mix brown sugar, egg, oil, apple sauce, cinnamon and vanilla until blended.

2. Stir in buttermilk.

3. Combine flour, salt and baking soda and slowly pour into wet ingredients. 

4. Fold in apples to mixture gently until combined.

5 Pour into greased loaf pan(s). 
* This recipe makes one very full large pan (make sure you get the middle done) or you can do two smaller loaf pans instead. I like to do one large loaf pan and 5-6 muffins so I can make sure my loaf gets properly baked in the middle. 

6. Combine crumb topping ingredients, cut together and sprinkle on top. The recipe makes plenty so feel free to use as much or as little as you like.

7. Bake at 350 until set in the middle and golden brown. A large loaf pan takes about 1 hour and muffins approx 12-15 minutes.







 
Enjoy!

Now it's your turn to join the Tuesday Talk fun!
Meet your hosts!
Becky from BYBMG, Beth from Our Pretty Little Girls, Whitney from Polka-Dotty Place, Elizabeth from All Kinds of Things, Tara from Mrs.Coach Sims, Keri from Living In This Season, Sarah from Abiding In Grace, Lauren from Simply Free , Emily from Morning Motivated Mom, and Jessica & Katie from Sweet Little OnesChristina from Waltzing In Beauty, Amy from Go Forth and Mother & Michelle from Grammie Time

So grab the button on my side bar and link-up!


post signature


No comments:

My favorite part of blogging is getting to know my readers. I love comments and will respond to all of them via email. Please make sure your email is connected to your account.