Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Strawberry Jam {Recipe}

One of my favorite "hobbies" that I have learned over the past 5 years is canning. I absolutely love to make my own preserved foods. It started with apple butter, next came salsa and then it just snow balled. Currently I make all of our jams, jellies and fruit butters and lots more.

Our stock pile pantry has been getting a little low in the strawberry jam department. I have been patiently (for the most part) waiting for strawberries to get cheap, (under $1) so I could make a big batch to get us through another year.

FINALLY that day came! I woke up Wednesday, checked the computer and ~voila! Finally Aldi had the sale that I had been waiting on. So we got ready and headed out for supplies!


That should be enough stuff for a quadruple batch!

Strawberry Jam
(Single batch recipe)


Ingredients:
8 cups strawberries, hulled and halved if large
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup bottle lemon juice

Directions:
1. Toss the berries and sugar in a large bowl and macerate overnight to coax out the fruit's juice.

2. Transfer to a large nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring and crushing.

3. Stir in the lemon juice.

4. Continue to cook, stir often until the jam reaches your preferred consistency, about 20 minutes. (Through my experience I have found that this particular jam does not get very thick. But we don't mind one bit.)

5. Remove from the heat let the jam rest for 5 minutes, stirring to release air bubbles. Skim off any foam.

Now you are at the point in the recipe where you can put it into bowls or jars and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks or you can preserve it.

Canning: Use the water bath method, leave 1/4" airspace and process for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, remove canner lid and let jars rest in the water for 5 minutes. Remove jars and let set aside for 24 hours. Check seals, then store in a cool dark place for up to a year. 

Enjoy!








Have you ever tried jam/jelly making or canning?


post signature



No comments:

My favorite part of blogging is getting to know my readers. I love comments and will respond to all of them via email. Please make sure your email is connected to your account.