Most likely if you were to invite me to a cookout this summer, I would show up with broccoli slaw. There are many different reasons this recipe has quickly became a favorite of ours that add up to make this the perfect summertime side dish. A few of those reasons being: It is fast, easy, has simple ingredients, is inexpensive to make and tastes amazing. Definitely a favorite among our friends.
1 bag of broccoli slaw
1 package of oriental ramen
1/3 C sugar
1/3 C oil
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
Sunflower seed kernels
Sliced almonds (regular or toasted)
1. Combine sugar, oil and the season package from the noodles in a bowl, whisk and set aside.
*Dressing Trick: if you are in a hurry you can use zesty italian dressing instead. I usually use about 1/3-1/2 a cup. This dressing does have a different taste but is also delicious
2. Dump the Slaw in a large bowl.
3. Crunch up the noodles in to small pieces.
4. When you are ready to eat you can assemble. This dish tastes best if it is prepared on site right before eating. If I am taking it somewhere I usually fix a bowl up similar to this picture and mix it up right before we eat, at home I would just stick this in the fridge until dinner time.
5. Dump the dressing, noodles and any other topping in. Toss to coat and enjoy.
This slaw does not make for good leftovers. But don't worry there probably won't be much (or any) left.
There you have it, our families favorite summertime BBQ dish.