Monday, June 15, 2015

The Best Ever Baked Oatmeal {Recipe}

Lately I have been on a healthy eating kick. In an attempt to eat more protein for breakfast I now eat one egg and 6 tablespoons of egg whites every morning. I think I did that for about 3 days before it got old. The only thing still making it possible is the baked oatmeal that I am eating along side them. I take a few bites of eggs then reward myself with a bite of baked oatmeal.

This is not your packaged, slimey, goopy oatmeal either. The texture and flavor is almost like that of a cookie or bar. It tastes great, lasts for days in the fridge, makes breakfast fast and easy and is kid approved!


Ingredients:
1/2 Cup brown sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 Cup 2% milk
1/8 Cup melted butter (I use unsalted)
1/8 Cup unsweetened apple sauce
3 Cups rolled oats (quick can be used but I much prefer rolled)

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. 
2. Mix brown sugar, eggs, baking powder and cinnamon together
3. Add in vanilla, salt and milk. Stir until mixed.
4. Add the melted butter and apple sauce, mix well. 
5. Stir in the oats. 
6. Pour into a lightly sprayed 8x8 pan spread evenly and bake for 30-35 minutes until lightly brown and set. (If you wish to bake later you can cover with plastic refrigerate until morning and bake when desired.)

Serve with milk splashed over it and top with fruit, honey, maple syrup, nuts or any other delicious thing you can think to add to it. Leftovers can be refrigerated and quickly warmed up. I add about 1/3 cup milk and microwave for 45 seconds for a quick and easy breakfast. 


This simple breakfast has became a staple at our house. It is my morning day brightener and I hope you love it just as much as we do.






Have you ever tried baked oatmeal?


post signature


26 comments:

  1. I might have to try this! Lily LOVES oatmeal and well, I could be eating it because it is great for nursing. What's up with the 6 tablespoons of egg whites though? Lol so exact! Can't you just use 6 egg whites? Also what do you do with the left over yolks? And yes, eggs do get old fast! I ate them everyday while pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desiree @ Macke MonologuesJune 15, 2015 at 8:35 AM

    YUM! This looks awesome. I love oatmeal, but hate the pre-packaged stuff!! I'm always looking for new and easy breakfast ideas around here, and this looks perfect! Pinning this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love baked oatmeal here too, I like to sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar on the top, it makes a crust like top, soooo yummy! And I agree about the eggs. I usually have 2 scrambled with turkey bacon, but it gets old...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at "more like a cookie" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to make this...and I actually mean that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been hearing about baked oatmeal--- I just might try this one- with my cup of tea of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course! I just love it so much. It is so nice to have a good breakfast with very little effort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it the best! I'll have to try that the next time I make it.

    It gets so old and the turkey bacon, meh. I eat it too but it's not my favorite and it is just no the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is SO good! I hope you love it so much. I really enjoy having a yummy breakfast with little effort.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes it is! I remember eating lots of oatmeal when I was nursing.

    I buy a carton of egg whites (YUCK) The 6 Tablespoons is 2 servings approx 2 eggs worth. Eggs get SO old so fast but this is the only way I can get a good dose of protein in first thing so I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never tasted baked oatmeal, but this sounds fantastic! I love oatmeal. My husband does not like it though, but luckily the children do, so I would really like to whip up a batch of this for us to eat soon. Plus my non protein eating toddler could benefit from this.Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look and sound delicious! I've seriously got to try these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have tried baked oatmeal in a crockpot and it was OK...but I would love to try a new recipe. This looks much better! I love oatmeal and want to find a way to get my girls hooked on it also! Pinning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so good. You should totally try it soon. You are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have seen those overnight recipes too. You should give this one a try to see how it compares. I imagine it being a bit less chewy and a bit more baked. I LOVE this stuff and hope you do too. Thanks for pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is fantastic! My hubby isn't exactly a fan either... maybe it's a guy thing ;). You are welcome, I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I will since it doesn't look all mushy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so good! So excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It isn’t really mushy at all! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh this sounds super good! I'm definitely going to try it! And you say it's healthy and delicious? That's a win in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It really isn't that bad for you nutrition wise. I cut out some of the butter from the original recipe and you can skimp on the brown sugar that I have listed too! It is definitely a winner in my books too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Totally made this yesterday and the baby LOVES it. I added choco chips on top of half for the big girls- yum! Youre a genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw yay! That is awesome to hear. I am currently sitting here eating some myself 😊.

    ReplyDelete