Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tuesday Talk: 5 Things To Look For In A Church.

Welcome to another week of Tuesday Talk. 
We are so glad you joined us. We hope that you will join the fun by linking up and making some connections. 

This week I wanted to share something that has been weighing pretty heavy on my mind lately. As some of you may already know, we recently found out that our church is closing. Next Sunday will be the last service in a church that we have called home for the past 6 years. The thought of "church shopping" can seem exhausting and intimidating. But we know that we will soon find a new church to call home.

Being part of a church is so much more than just attending service once a week. 

It is finding a family to be a part of, grow with, and serve.

Today I wanted to share a list of a few things that we will be looking for in our new church with hopes that this list will also help others.


1. A church that preaches The Gospel, in it's entirety.

Simply said if your church isn't opening the bible every week and reading from the scriptures you should probably be worried. Finding a church that really preaches The Bible can sometimes be harder than you think. Scriptures should be from The Bible and carefully examined. Not added too, twisted, or come in bits and pieces that are removed from context. I want a church with sound doctrine, teaching that lines up with Gods word.

2. A church that serves others.

The Bible teaches us to love and serve others. To care for them above the way we care for ourselves. The church should be embracing this and living on mission as a congregation for the greater good of the community around them.

3. A church that challenges you to grow.

Christianity isn't supposed to be comfortable. The times I have grown the most in Christ are the times that I have walked through the hardest obstacles, both physical and mental. A good church confronts sin, is abundant in grace, gives you opportunities to grow in Christ and calls you to action to do the same for other.

4. A church that loves kids.

Children are  a blessing, never an inconvenience. The church should embrace this attitude and see the children as one of their best opportunities to share the message of salvation on a weekly basis.

5. A church that lives out true community.

As I have heard many, many times. Christianity is a terrible hobby.

Church should be more than an a weekly activity. The Bible calls us to make disciples, it is hard to do that in one hour a week. Opportunities to know others and be known help with accountability and growth.

I feel like there is so much more I could add to this list. But for now I will end with the one thing that my pastor has been repeating over and over again that has been so good for me to be constantly reminded of.

The church exists to bring God glory, nothing else. 
It always has & always will be about Jesus. 


What would you add to this list?


Now it's your turn. Grab the button and link up!
Our Pretty Little Girls


post signature




25 comments:

  1. I agree with this list! When we visited churches we had a hard time finding a church that our kids were welcome in, and not just thrust into a nursery. I am so thankful for where God led us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes! I am confident God will do the same thing for us soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I saw this post (though so bummed to hear your church is closing). My husband and I moved and have been church hunting and these are great reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I am so glad this post wasn't just for me, praying that we both find new church homes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! We recently went through looking for a new church and we look at all aspects of the church and then we went to one and it just felt like our home.. I feel like you will get a sense where you fit in :) Thanks

    Chelsea @ thewilliamsjourney1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. #4 - yes. You know where we are with this one. We are still struggling with this one, and it saddens me. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me." Apparently some of our congregation, along with our priests have forgotten this. It saddens me, as I used to adore church and loved Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you!

    I know the exact feeling. That is exactly how we felt when we found Mystery and I am confident we will find that again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs friend. I know how hard that can be. Praying for a baby boom that wakes everyone up :) hehe he! Seriously though, keep at it, it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with this list, very well thought out! I especially love #1 and #4.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful list. We switched churches a couple years ago, and I"m so glad we did. We moved from a larger to a smaller church that just has more of a family/traditional feel. Praying you find the right place for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you. Our church now is pretty small. I love that I know everyone and that I can’t hide. I was thinking I wanted to try a larger church but the past few days I am growing unsure about that. I feel confident we will find the right place though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. I guess it’s obvious it has been on my mind A LOT lately 😊.
    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Look at how many linkups you have today!! Nice work friend.

    I'm embarrassed to admit that it's been a while since we attended service at our church. I love our pastor and he is super engaging but I don't feel the sense of community from our large church (even though I work there). We volunteer in te nursery once a month so that is really the only time we are guaranteed to go. I'm not sure how to get to know people better in our congregation or if we should shop for another church that is smaller....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have anything to add because you included all of the most important things! Of course you could get into the specifics/personal preferences of a church "style" but the important things to have in a church are the ones you made sure to list. Good post, Beth :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Courtney.

    We will most likely be seeing you soon, CTK is on our small (as in 2) list of churches to visit. We feel like we tried just about every church in town before God put us at Mystery. We know God has a plan in all of this, it's just hard to not feel a little hopeless when you "know what's out there". But ultimately all of this was for a reason and we know that our time at Mystery was for our good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes. Having moved a lot I know how terrible most of the options available out there are. Don't be discouraged. You will end up exactly where God wants you! (I know and understand how hard your situation is though- our church before we ended up at ctk closed too)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't be embarrassed. I know the exact way you feel, I've been there before. I'll be praying for you guys. I remember when I first connected at Mystery I was at a point in my life where I felt like I had no friends. After a few months of attending there I just started praying and God blessed me with the best friend I have ever had. Hugs friend. Thanks for being real.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, so your comment made me cry (so emotional). Just knowing someone else understands helps.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is exactly what I would've said! We switched churches a couple years ago and was really hard but now just loving getting connected in a great church- praying as you find a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Keri. Your prayers are very appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much Jamie. I know the right place is out there. Just hoping we find it sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  22. He will! :) I know you know that too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is EXCELLENT!!! Looking forward to sharing it~ God is going to bless your desire to be where He wants you! Change can be so difficult, but God has great things for your family! Much Love, friend~

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Elizabeth. For the comment on the post and the sweet words.

    I am still a bit sad and nervous but excited to see what God has in store for our family.

    ReplyDelete