Friday, May 29, 2015

Friday Highlights 5.29.15

Hello Friday!

This week felt like it flew by and the weekend would never get here all at the same time. Then there was the constant challenge of trying to remember what day it was all week, which I failed miserably at. But hey, a 3 day weekend with the husband home is always worth the confusion.

As for this weekend we have a whole lot of nothing planned. After several busy weekends in a row that sounds just about perfect if you ask me.

Now for this weeks Friday five


{ONE}  On The Blog This Week

This week I shared about...
Opening day/ date night at the new minor league ball park. Go Blasters!


Finding confidence in motherhood


Last weekends shopping trip to IKEA!!!


{TWO} Summer Reading Challenge

A few of my favorite bloggers have put together a really cute summer reading challenge to read 12 books in 12 weeks. The girls and I love reading and have been spending LOTS of time at the library lately.
Challenge accepted!

They even included some theme ideas!

Sweet Turtle Soup: Summer Reading Challenge - Announcement!

Make sure you check out the details, grab your books & link up with these awesome ladies.
Stephanie from Wife Mommy Me
Elizabeth from Chasin' Mason
Courtney from Sweet Turtle Soup

{THREE} Healthy Meals

The winds of change have been blowing friends. 

Lately the food in our house has taken on a whole new level of healthy, especially for me. I wouldn't say that I was a super unhealthy eater before but I definitely enjoyed more than my fair share of sugar and french fries. Not anymore. 

I started a training program a couple weeks ago that goes hand in hand with a very macro nutrient specific diet. Eating 30% of my calories in protein has been quite the challenge. But I am doing it and get this... I ate fish. I hope my mom doesn't pass out when she reads that. For years I have sworn off eating anything that lives in the water and this week I ate Tilapia.

If you follow me on Pinterest you may have noticed that I am on the lookout for healthy recipes.

Follow Our Pretty Little Girls's board Healthy Recipes on Pinterest.

Do you have any favorites you could share with me?

{FOUR} National Donut Day

In the past I have been really bad about not sharing the news of upcoming "holidays" until the day of or the day after. 

Not this week friends. 

If you've been around here for a while you know how I feel about donuts.


Well guess what?

Next Friday June 5th is National Donut Day.


Many of you in larger cities than I live will have SEVERAL opportunities to pick up all kinds of free donuts. An opportunity you should clearly take FULL advantage of.

Your welcome.

That seems like a completely logical and acceptable excuse to eat one even though my new eating habits tell me it's a bad idea, right?

{FIVE} Girl Mom

This week I had Justine from Little Dove Creations guest post as a part of my 'Girl Mom' series.


I absolutely adored her post. It was so real and relate-able for this mama. I have had so many great posts in this series and this is definitely one of my favorites. You can read her post here.


If you're interested in sharing your story about being a girl mom fill out this survey and I will be in touch. 

Friday Linkup Parties

To see where I am linking up check out my link-up tab.

Have a great weekend!
We will see you back here on Monday.

post signature


22 comments:

  1. Thank you for the public service announcement about donut day! My bday is next Thursday & I will naturally be celebrating into Friday & then I should probably just continue the whole weekend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome 😊. I think celebrating the whole weekend just makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the news about donut day! I hope to find some places that I can partake in! I also love the reading list! I am hoping I can get Annabelle signed up for the summer reading program at the library (not sure of the age they can start). Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome! Enjoy Donut Day!!!

    My girls were always able to start when they were itty bitty. I bet you can get her started. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. National Donut Day? Perfect for the last day of school!!!
    I used to hate fish, but recently started to eat it. Some of it I like, others not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is SO perfect for the last day of school! Love it!


    I hear you girl. I started with Tilapia since it is supposed to be so mild. I am not sure when or if I will attempt it again. I just keep thinking maybe if I eat more of it. I will grow to like it? I can hope at least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. National Donut Day? Thank you for letting me know -marked on my calendar!!!

    Salmon is kind of my go to fish - but I am game for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so welcome! I'd hate for someone to miss out on such an awesome day :)!

    Maybe I'll try salmon next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love going to IKEA!!!! Our closets one is 4 hours

    Happy Friday

    Chelsea @ thewilliamsjourney1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christina SotherdenMay 29, 2015 at 11:26 AM

    I love a whole lot of nothing – that is the best kind of weekend in the midst of these busy schedules! Thanks for sharing about national donut day! I must remember that because all those donuts look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would make for a LONG day. But still worth it I bet!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our wedding anniversary is June 5th... so you can best beat you last Venti Mocha, we will be celebrating with donuts. Because #duh ... who doesn't love anniversaries and donuts!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um ya I totally wrote down donut day in my planner!! I am going to check out your pinterest board, I'm always on the lookout for more healthy eats! I get tired of my grilled chicken and veggies everyday for lunch...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that your 3 was your healthy eating plan and 4 was donut day hahaha. What is the point of eating healthy if you can't splurge once and a blue moon =) And donut day...pretty good excuse for a splurge. No free donuts by you though?

    ReplyDelete
  15. National doughnut day is already on the calendar and will be happily celebrated here as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hehe I love that too. I splurged last night... we'll see what I do on donut day. Maybe if I ate chicken the entire rest of the day it would even out.

    No free donuts :(. Joplin is missing the big donut chains that tend to go all out celebrating. We have no Dunkin and no Krispy Kreme :(.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good girl. It is a day that nobody should miss. I hear you friend. I eat the same thing for lunch and breakfast almost everyday and it gets SO old :(. I need to find some more options, pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are usually my favorite, most productive weekends too.

    You bet it is a day that nobody should miss! Write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness that made me laugh. You should totally celebrate with donuts. Make a cake out of them, eat them all day. I mean your anniversary won't fall on National Donut Day every year so live it up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I echo Courtney - chuckled big time when I saw healthy eating followed by donuts!! Hilarious!! And the book reading challenge looks like such fun. We need to follow along! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

    Katie @ Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought it was pretty clever too.

    It should be so much fun. I guess I need to get cracking on it too!!!

    Happy Monday friend.

    ReplyDelete