Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Taking On IKEA

Saturday was a day that I waited months for, literally months. 

Anna and I planned a trip to Ikea back in February! That meant three months of saving, waiting and building up a shopping list. 

Finally the big day was here and I woke up with that goofy "pinch me" feeling. Part of me thought "Your such a nerd it's just IKEA." The rest of me was doing a happy dance singing "I'm going to IKEA!" over and over. 

After all is IKEA ever "just" IKEA?!

We were ready to be on our way but first we took a quick picture before the 2 hour and 20 minute drive.

I assure you I was indeed happy despite the concerned look on my face. But I had just taken a big bite of my newest concoction, a homemade protein bar. Let's just say that recipe needs a bit of tweaking before I would ever share it on the blog. They're just so sticky and.... tasty?


We arrived scored an amazing parking place and decided the first stop should be lunch. We needed to fuel up before we attempted to shop. I decided since this was my first real shopping trip to IKEA I needed to do all the IKEA staples. Including Swedish meatballs for lunch.


With food in our bellies we were ready to shop!


It was amazing.

So much to look at, crazy crowded, over stimulation central... but amazing. We walked through the showroom just for the fun of it before heading downstairs for serious business. 


I could just live in the kitchen section. I have a weak spot in my heart for kitchen gadgets and IKEA was like heaven on earth. 

This is my "AAAAahhhh I am shopping at IKEA face".


For 6.5 hours we ate, shopped, wished, looked, searched and had so much fun.


Then we finally just had to walk away with the goodies we had, knowing that we would someday come back again.


Before we left we stopped for a pan of cinnamon rolls and frozen yogurt of course. After all we did want the full IKEA experience ;).


I would definitely call our trip a huge success.


Now the question that I have already been asked so many times....

"What did you get?"

I got two sets of Fargrik Dishes and some other Fargrik pieces to go with them.
FÄRGRIK 18-piece dinnerware set IKEA Service for 6. Microwave & dishwasher safe.
I knew our home school room needed the infamous Raskog Cart
RÅSKOG Utility cart IKEA
A couple Bekvam Spice Racks will come in handy somewhere I am sure.
BEKVÄM Spice rack IKEA Saves space on the countertop Solid wood can be sanded and surface treated as needed.
Some Lill Curtains are perfect for an upcoming project for Emily's room.
LILL Lace curtains, 1 pair IKEA
A Borrby Lantern for decorating
BORRBY Lantern for block candle IKEA
And that is just a few of the goodies I brought home with me.

Of all the items I purchased I think I am the most excited about the Raskog Cart.
I can not wait to get started on re-purposing the old play room.

What is your favorite IKEA item or what item would be #1 on your list?

post signature


29 comments:

  1. I have the spice racks for Connor's room to use as his bookshelf. If I ever get it accomplished, I'll share it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the IKEA. Luke & I will be taking our first trip of the year in July. We usually go twice a year but I think with everything we have going on, it will only be once. We will definitely make the most of it! I love the cart. I'm going to have to add that to my list. The lantern is adorable, too. Will you be refinishing the cart?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6.5 hours, food and no kids... Definitely a better way to experience IKEA! We tried "stopping in" to look around one afternoon as part of a family outing. I didn't have the moby wrap with me and Dom only lasted in the stroller for the first 30 minutes. We had no idea what we were getting in to! After the first hour I was mentally and physically exhausted and we still had to find our way out of there! We did buy an LED light bulb and a sippy cup, so it was totally worth it (not!). Hopefully we can go back for the "full experience" sans kiddos sometime soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got to the bottom and literally thought you were going to keep us hanging on what you bought! lol. So glad you shared and sounds like you got some great stuff. And sounds like you got the full experience. We have one like 20 minutes away and honestly, every time we go, I am that excited! Haha. So don't feel bad. I love that you walked around the show rooms (my fave part though we rarely do it anymore now that we bring Mason) and got the amazing ice cream!! Next I have to try the cinnamon rolls because, believe it or not, I never have!
    Also, I just have to say I'm sorry. Having IKEA be 2.5 hours away is just tragic! I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! 6.5 hours oh my gosh. Did you get lost? We get lost every single time. I can't even. Chris thinks the carts are the best carts in the world. I got a bamboo last time I was there. Glad you went with the swedish meatballs! Fun. I've been wanting to make my own at home, but never get around to it. Love what you got! I've never heard of the cart but it is oh so perfect for the school room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your purchases, especially the cart- so many possibilities!!! Just think only a decade or so more of schooling and you can use it for anything, anywhere haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great find! I have a lantern similar to that. I often stuff it with seasonal related fillers and use it as a centerpiece on our table! I keep drooling over that cart. I need to find an excuse to get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely want the cart. 6.5 hours of shopping at IKEA?!? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well shopping, eating, gawking. Hehe he! We had to make it worth our 2.5 hour drive!

    The cart is awesome, I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is EXACTLY where mine is right now, lol. It is the perfect centerpiece.

    I am sure you could think of something :)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness. Baha ha that comment made me laugh so hard. It just has to last through 13 years of schooling and it's free!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We almost got lost, but nope. We are just that dang thorough :). It would be fun to make those at home you should find a good recipe and share it after you test it out :). It is the perfect cart for our room. I'd like to say I am so excited... but first summer :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sure do! You and your golden eye :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol I would never do that to you :). I would have listed more but honesty it was just a whole bunch of tiny stuff that wasn't really worth mentioning, but really adds up dollar wise ;). 20 minutes away #jealous. 2.5 hours is pretty far but before that the closest one was IN DALLAS!!!! Do you even know how far that is?! At least this one can easily be done in a day trip.

    GET THE ROLLS GIRL! Seriously do it and buy a whole pan... or two. I really regret not buying two.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooohhh maybe a great little summer project?! I have no clue where ours will end up....:).

    ReplyDelete
  16. yay so fun!!! I guess all the IKEA's are different ours is all on one floor and the food court is right in the middle (where all the kitchen stuff is) I like that yours is before you go in!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How far away is IKEA for you? I think two trips a year is completely doable for me too. That cart is just so perfect isn't it! I am planning on leaving it the way it is. The dark gray will work fine in the school room when we actually get the room painted done and then have to put it together. AKA it will be in the box all summer ;).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought of you on my way up there and wondered if you had made the exciting adventure yourself yet :).

    It was pretty amazing but we knew if we were going to make the trip. It HAD to be worth it, so we went all out. IKEA is mentally draining without kids. I can't even imagine it with them. I hope you can go again soon, alone, on a date. That would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So fun!! I honestly had no idea the store had all of that! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The closest one is about an hour & a half away. I don't feel comfortable going by myself as it is in IL & I'm definitely not comfortable driving there. I think the spice racks will find homes in the boys' rooms at our new house, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My mouth is watering over those cinnamon rolls and ice cream!! MMM!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah this one was designed REALLY nice. It made it really easy to get around in and didn't feel like a maze which was great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was so fun! You name it, they have it. It is CRAZY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They had some great fabric! I did check out all of that stuff. It was fantastic, all of it! I just didn't buy any this time. Well, I did get a package of straws for the girls :).

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know, right?! I would do just about anything for a pan of those cinnamon rolls right about now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How fun! i have never visited an IKEA, but I think I am sold on the food alone! Man oh man, Swedish meatballs, cinnamon rolls and frozen yogurt! I could probably spend all day just in the restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hehe 😊! You and I would get along just fine Jen. If you ever get a chance to go and buy MULTIPLE pans of cinnamon rolls $4 for 6 huge ones. You just can’t beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  28. YAY! I'm the exact same way when I go to Ikea. It's 2 hours from me too, and you have to plan when you need to go. Next time I'm definitely picking up that rolling cart - it's so cute! It would be perfect for crafts, or even as a nightstand/side table!

    Katie @ Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete