Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Granola Bars {Recipe}

So last week I shared with you my favorite, super easy granola recipe. I mentioned that I make my own granola bars and I wanted to share that recipe with you to. 

My favorite thing about these granola bars is the versatility. You can take one simple base recipe and add in countless ingredients to make a variety of flavors. They do have a distinct sweet, honey flavor to them, which is one reason we like them so much. My husband quickly became a huge fan and after a coupe weeks of home made bars he told me that the store ones tasted gross to him. I call that success!

Granola Bars

Base Recipe:
4 T unsalted butter
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 Cups Granola
1 Cup Rice Krispy Cereal

Add ins:
1/2 Cup of ANYTHING
Craisins, raisins, coconut, nuts, chocolate or other flavored chips, seeds, marshmallows, dried fruit (go crazy)

More optional add ins:
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
A scoop of peanut butter, almond butter, Nutella

Adding in different ingredients, and spices will change the bars flavors be creative and make your own combo

Directions:

1. Line 2 loaf or 1 11x7 pan with foil or parchment paper. Lightly butter or spray and set aside.

2. Combine butter, brown sugar and honey in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir until butter is completely melted.

3. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove sauce pan from the heat. 

*If I was adding in peanut butter or nutella this is the time I would add it to the butter mixture. Stir it in until it melts and is well mixed.

4. In a large bowl combine granola, cereal and 1/2 a cup of your chosen toppings. Including any spices that you would like to add.

5. Pour the butter mixture over the cereal mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated.

6. Spread into prepared pan, gently pressing down with a spatula. Allow to sit for 15/20 minutes.

7. You can now either cover and leave in pan or you can cut and individually package in baggies or foil for easy grabbing on the go.

Enjoy!








Don't forget to enter to win a $25 starbucks card!!!



post signature



No comments:

My favorite part of blogging is getting to know my readers. I love comments and will respond to all of them via email. Please make sure your email is connected to your account.