Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Cinnamon Crunch Bagels

I warned you guys I am a bread maker...

 For my next bread recipe, I want to talk about bagels. I love bagels! I mean who doesn't like eating the equivalent to 5 pieces of bread in one sitting. In lovely JoMo we don't have a lot of bagel store options, Panera Bread pretty much has the market cornered. They do make delicious bagels, but buying all of our bagels there isn't exactly "in the budget" Recently, I discovered an okay bagel recipe that I tweaked a bit and turned it into a recipe very similar to the cinnamon crunch bagels at Panera. I hope you love them as much as we do!

Cinnamon Crunch Bagels



Ingredients:
1 Cup warm (not hot) water
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 T brown sugar
3 Cups flour (I use all purpose unbleached)
2 1/4 tsp yeast
3 quarts boiling water
3 T sugar
cornmeal for sprinkling pan
1 egg white

Topping Ingredients:
1/4 Cup sugar
1/4 Cup Brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
1. Place water, salt, sugar, yeast and flour in a stand mixer. Using the dough hook mix until the dough has come into a ball and knead until it is smooth and elasticy. The dough should be slightly sticky, but it should not stick to your hands. 

2. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise 2/3 hours or until doubled in size.

3. In a large pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and stir in the 3T of sugar. 

4. Punch the dough down. Divide the dough into equal portions. You can make 9 smaller bagels, but we prefer to do 7 larger ones. Form a ball with dough, flatten the ball and push your finger through the middle to form a hole. Twirl the dough on your finger to enlarge the hole and to even out the dough around the hole. Cover the bagels with a clean cloth an allow them to rest for about 20 minutes.

5.Preheat oven to 375F

6. Sprinkle an ungreased cookie sheet with cornmeal. Carefully transfer the bagels one at a time to the boiling water. Boil for 30 seconds on each side. Drain briefly on a clean towel, then transfer to the prepared cookie sheet. Glaze top with egg whites then sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugars mixture. 

7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until well browned. Once completely cooled store in an airtight container, or in the freezer.









Try it, share it, Pin it!

This is my favorite original recipe so far, and I am so excited to share it with you!


4 comments:

  1. Yep! Definitely pinning and saving for later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good! In fact, I am making another batch right now. I wrote up this post a week and a half ago and have been waiting for a good day to post it!

      Delete
  2. Umm yeah, just pinned and will definitely try these! They look so good! I always have Cinnamon toast crunch around lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that cereal so so much! So, I NEVER have it around lol. I seriously would eat a whole box in 2 days. So, I just avoid it and try to forget about it. Now I suddenly am craving it like crazy, thanks a lot ;) hehe he!

      These bagels are delicious, I hope you love them!

      Delete