Wednesday, October 1, 2014

It's The Little Things: A Rough Week & High Heels

Last week I had a rough week.

 The kind of week that leaves you hiding from everyone on the front porch after dinner. Another long week, another Friday night "stuck" at home with no where to go and nothing to do. I love my life, I love my "job" but sometimes I start to feel like I am unraveling.

But hey it's Friday night and I had a "Friday Introductions" picture to post. Try and look chipper so I can snap a selfie and post this to Instagram!


Shortly after a text from a friend. She knew exactly where I was (hiding from everyone on the porch) and could see straight through my "weary little smile"

From there our conversation included a confession from me, questions from her followed by more honesty on my part. She told me she would pray then text me this.

Psalm 34:18 The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit

Followed by  "Do we need to go to Kohls and try on heels?"

She knew that #2 on my things you should know about me if were going to be BFF is this.

"2. I love to try on high heels. Being a tall gal at about 5'10" I rarely wear them and certainly don't buy them. But if you take me to Kohls to try on shoes, I will be your life long friend."

She is a friend, and not just a friend a good friend. One that knows me, cares about me, speaks gospel truth to me, wants to spend time with me and even reads my blog. 

I want to be a friend like that, a friend like Anna.

So Saturday night I showered, fixed my hair, put on some make up, fancy earrings. Things I rarely do. Okay, I do normally shower. Then we went out to try on some high heels. It was fun to be out and to laugh and to come home feeling refreshed. 

What kind of blogger would I be if we didn't snap some pictures.

6'2" Beth in a pair of good heels. 


These were crazy, and by crazy I mean crazy awesome.



So glitzy and fun. I would love them even more in black.



Sometimes we just need to step away for a bit. We can pray, reflect, read, refocus and just be still. Other times we may find ourselves wondering the aisles of a local shoe department with a friend. 

Admitting that we're not okay doesn't make us a bad mom. 
Don't ever believe that lie. 

 We are an imperfect people who find wholeness and healing in our perfect, gracious and loving Savior. 


post signature


7 comments:

  1. You're one hot mama! (As I tell my sister often when she's in her biker get-up ;-) ) Thank you for being honest. I often retreat to my sister's place when life get's too much....and I go shopping. Hang on to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admitting that you're not ok makes you a good mom. Seeking help and guidance is something our children need to see. They need to see that no matter how grown up we are, sometimes we need a little help to make our days better and our smiles brighter. Receiving help encourages making true friendships, and giving help to others encourages being a great friend and demonstrates empathy.
    You're an awesome momma, and those strapy, studded heels are awesome. You rocked those well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Sorry about your rough week, glad you got some smiles in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look so lean and beautiful trying on those heels... yah, i hear ya.... we all have those mama moments... good thing you have such a wonderful girlfriend to lean on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl so sorry you had such a week but so glad you had a friend to catch it and cheer you up. Those black strappy high heels totally look awesome and I am not a high heels girl! Which makes no sense my hubby is 6'4" and i'm barely 5'3" you think I'd rock heels all the time! Anyway I'm glad you got some smiles in :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post!!! YAY for the time out and away and trying on shoes! :) I didn't know you were tall--couldn't tell from you pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I know those weeks. But man a good friend and some shoe shopping is a great way to distract! Not to mention some love on our lord!

    ReplyDelete