Thursday, July 17, 2014

In Our Garden Grows...

After a life of repeated plant killing, I was very surprised to discover that I have a green thumb. I guess it happened in my late 20's. Maybe it just took years to ripen or mature. I have never been one to do very well at keeping plants alive, and if I am being honest my green thumb only seems to apply to plants that live outside. I can kill almost any houseplant within a week.

When we moved into the new house I knew that I wanted a garden. I wanted Tomatoes, peppers everything needed so I could preserve my own salsa's and sauces. It gives me such joy to go out to the garden and return to the house with arms full of fruits and veggies that I grew. If I could talk Russell into it our whole back yard would be a giant garden, maybe someday.

This year was a new adventure for me, I started my plants from seeds. I have always purchased the plants already grown. Growing from seeds promises that you know exactly what has happened to the plant and is a more cost effective way to garden. The future plan is to preserve my own seeds so I can plant next years garden with them. Now that is cost effective!

From seeds we ended up like this.


Then we planted.


One Month Later.


Today. It is a total jungle out there. The winds a few weeks did a number to the plant but they are LOADED with produce.


The cantaloupes will be ready any day now. When they grow up high over pavement one must get creative so they don't crack when they release. Here are 3 examples of my contraptions.


This guy is my biggest. Marissa keeps asking me when it will be ready.


 I have TONS of peppers. I joked on Facebook that I have peppers coming out my ears. Some days it feels like I do.



Bells, Anchos, Bananas and Jalapeno's. Nothing is really turning pretty colors yet. I blame the weird weather that this summer has brought.


Here I am growing green beans and I just planted some carrot seeds!


And finally my precious tomatoes. After weeks of wondering if they would ever ripen they finally are. I have to keep bird netting on my plants otherwise a mocking bird starts destroying things.



Todays harvest!


In the next few weeks the garden should reach it's peak and that will mean lots of work for me in the kitchen but I couldn't be more excited.

Thanks for checking out the garden with me. 


post signature


4 comments:

  1. One day I'll have my own garden! Good job, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! I joke that I can kill artificial plants (but really, I'm pretty sure I could), so anyone who can keep up a garden has me awestruck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Thanks for sharing your garden! I'm hoping to do a post in the next few weeks about our garden this past season as the season wraps up. Your cantaloupes look amazing!!! I LOVE gardening. It's so rewarding to plant a seed and then harvest it's produce. Plus, knowing exactly what has happened to the plant over the course of it's life really feels amazing too. I must admit, I'm a little jealous of your raised bed layout! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted to start all my plants from seeds but haven't been successful with tomatoes yet,,,how do you start them inside?

    ReplyDelete