Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My First Runniversary



That was my Facebook Status update one year ago today. The first time in my adult life that I laced up a pair of sneakers and went for a run.


This is my story.

 I don't remember why or what I just was tired of feeling "bleh". Tired of thinking someday, maybe later, when things are easier. Tired of being unhappy. Tired of feeling lazy.
I had to change. 

I decided to run. It didn't require any fancy equipment, or a gym membership. Little did I know the truth in these words.


I ran and I kept running. I finished my first 5K in October of 2013 and 3 weeks later I started training for a half marathon that I completed in May of 2014.



In one year I have:
Ran 500+ miles
2, 5K's (3.1 miles)
2, 10K's (6.2 miles)
1, half marathon (13.1 miles)

I have lost ZERO lb's and 4 pant sizes.
Became proficient at push-ups, "boy" ones.
Discovered I actually have muscles, that I can now see.

But, the biggest part is I did things I NEVER imagined I could do. 


"It is a shame for a woman
 to grow old without seeing
 the strength and the beauty
 of which her body is capable."
~Socrates

I finally feel like I have seen what I am capable of.


One year later and I have no plans on slowing down. My goals for the next year aren't entirely clear yet, but I hope to complete 3 more half marathons, and log more miles than I did this year. 

Maybe you are in the same spot I was one year ago. Tired and desiring a change but not sure where to start. Check out this virtual 5KWith about 2 months until "race" day you have plenty of time to train and make a positive change.

The Chronicles of We

You won't regret the choice to try.

Have you made change to be more active or do you have goals you would like to meet?



post signature




4 comments:

  1. Aw! Thanks for sharing your story! It's so easy to become complacent and unhappy. So glad you motivated yourself to do something about it! Happy runniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!! I haven't begun exercises, BUT I have changed my diet dramatically (finally!) and I have noticed a change. I may not be losing weight just yet, but I feel that my body is starting to heal itself. Gives me motivation to keep going. I plan on starting yoga soon (my knee joints are too bad to begin running).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!!! First thanks for the shout out and promoting our race! Love it! But also thanks for sharing your story. I love that you have anniversary date for starting running. There is some serious truth to the not loosing weight but dropping clothing sizes while running. It's party of why I'm not pushing to train for a long distance run until I meet some weight loss goals. Can't wait to see your other race reports this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOOOOOVE your running story!
    Mine is so similar.
    Once bitten by the running bug it's tough to shake - and that's certainly not a bad thing.
    So glad you're joining our virtual 5k!!

    ReplyDelete